Melbourne Painting And Roofing Services
Every home, office and business in Melbourne deserves to be treated as a work of art. Painting your property is one way you can make it beautiful again! This article will explore the benefits of painting and roofing your property, how it can add value and curb appeal, and what type of paint is best for you.
Why Should We Paint?
Paint makes an old house look new, or a drab room comes to life. It can also help sell a home quicker when potential buyers notice an excellent paint job right off the bat.
Whether you’re painting an accent wall in your living room or sprucing up your front door with chalkboard paint, there are plenty of reasons to whip out that roller brush.
But before you go all Jackson Pollock on the walls in search of instant gratification (and maybe some long-term regret), take into consideration these tips about getting the best paint job possible.
The Benefits of Painting Your Home
- Prevents structural damage to wood
- Protects against water and fire damage
- It makes the exterior of your home look more appealing to potential buyers.
- Eliminates pest habitat (such as termites) in older homes
- Roofing is another critical aspect.
Benefits of Hiring a Professional Roof Painters
Hiring a contractor can be expensive, but many homeowners have tried painting on their own and ended up with exterior walls that resemble Jackson Pollock paintings more closely.
If you’re looking for a better way to get your home painted in Melbourne, hiring professional roof painters will give you several benefits:
- The professional crew uses high-quality paints that won’t damage your home’s structure and you have less roof repair works.
- A professional will give you peace of mind knowing that all safety precautions are taken to avoid accidents on the roof, in the attic or on the scaffolding.
- Precision cutting-in (painting around windows and doors)
- Low VOC paints for even less harmful impact on the environment
You can get in touch with us for the best Melbourne roof painting services.
Choosing the Right Paint Color
When choosing the right paint colour, consider these crucial factors:
This is especially important if you live in an area that has extreme weather conditions. For example, cooler climates will require paints with low VOCs (volatile organic compounds) to maintain their integrity in a dry environment.
When painting, you have to take into account how much direct sunlight your home is exposed to, as well as the direction it faces. For example, if your house sits directly in front of a west-facing window or gets afternoon shade, this might affect the type of paint you decide to use.
If you live in a newer neighbourhood, chances are many of your neighbours have painted their homes with standard oil-based house paint. This exterior paint is cheaper and easier to paint if the old layer starts peeling.
However, this type of paint contains petroleum which can cause problems for those who suffer from respiratory ailments.
If you are unhappy with the colour of your home, you can lighten it by adding white or covering the existing colour with a new and lighter colour (make sure it’s the same type of paint).
If you’re concerned with changing your exterior appearance, you can choose to change the colour of your trim and eaves.
Bonus Tip: If you’re looking for a cost-effective option that will stand the test of time, opt for a high-quality oil-based primer.
Tips for Successfully Picking Out and Applying the Perfect Shade of Paint
- Choose a colour that doesn’t require a lot of maintenance. If you pick a darker hue, plan on reapplying it every five years to keep the finish looking fresh.
- Use a primer before applying paint. You can apply two coats of primer if you need heavier coverage. It’s also important to note that primer ensures better adhesion for the following paint.
- Use good-quality brushes, rollers and drop cloths. Cheap equipment can lead to an uneven finish. Investing in high-quality supplies will save you time and money in the long run.
- Decide on a budget before choosing colours or brands. You can find quality paints for under $20 – $30 per litre if you know where to shop
- If you’re painting stucco or wood siding, brush the paint on first and follow up with a roller for even coverage. Switch the brush to a short bristled one and run it vertically (up and down) instead of horizontally (across).
Bonus Tip: To cover an entire house with one gallon, pay attention to the mixed formula’s pot life (the time between when you stir it and when it starts hardening)
The Benefits Of Putting A New Roof On Your Home
- When it comes to the overall appearance, nothing beats a new roof.
- If your home shows signs of aging, such as cracking and curling shingles, it’s time for a new roof. If you have a high-quality metal roof, you can expect it to last between 30 and 50 years. Installing a new roof is well worth the investment as not only will it protect your home from falling debris but also falling tree branches.
- Many homeowners in Melbourne choose to install a slate roof for its durability and timeless appearance. Slate roofs are often used for centuries-old European buildings, but more homeowners choose them here in Australia. This type of roof can last up to 80 years without needing major repairs.
- A clay tile roof is another timeless classic that offers a Mediterranean appearance and comes with an extended warranty of forty years. These roofs are made from fired clay and are very heavy. To help support them, you need to lay a structural frame made of cement before installing the tiles.
Benefits Of Hiring Professional Roofing Company
- A professional can complete most projects in just one day and have your entire house looking brand new again. And, they will clean up the site at the end of every workday so you can resume your life without worrying about bringing in a construction crew.
- People often hire “cheap” labour over high-quality roofers because it seems like an easy solution. However, hiring someone who is not skilled can cause problems for you and your home. For example, a roofing contractor that doesn’t take the time to properly install flashing could cause water damage and rot to your rafters and wall framing.
- If you want the best results for your home, hire experienced professionals who can do it all: repair work, new roofs, siding installation and gutter cleaning for reliable roofing services in Melbourne, contact us today!
Choosing The Right Roofing Material
You want to choose aesthetically pleasing materials and have the durability to stand up to Mother Nature for years.
When it comes to traditional shingles, most people prefer asphalt for its affordability and ease of installation. These shingles are relatively lightweight, but they can be easily damaged by high winds and are only water-resistant, not waterproof.
Clay tiles are much heavier than asphalt shingles but durable. They come in various styles that mimic shakes, slate and wood. However, they’re relatively expensive to purchase and install compared to asphalt shingles.
Metal roofing is another popular choice, especially in Melbourne. They are available in a wide range of colours and can be designed to look like traditional materials such as clay, wood shakes and slate. Metal roofs are also fire-resistant, so they can help protect your home from fires.
If you want stunning curb appeal for your home, contact us today to have a professional roofing contractor install a metal roof.
Different Types of Roof Installation Methods
There are two primary methods for installing roofs:
Most roofs are installed using the balloon methods, where sections of roofing material are placed on top of each other in a repeating pattern.
This folding method will ensure that your roof withstands high winds with little or no damage. The folded edges overlap to create a weatherproof seal that keeps rain and snow out.
If you are looking for professional painter or roofing services in Melbourne, contact us today!
Tips For Roof Repair & Roof Restoration
Whether it’s time for roof restoration or some storm damage has occurred, and now roof repairs are a must, you need to know how to fix the problem before it gets worse. Use the tips below to make a start.
Before You Start
The first thing you need to do before roof repair works is check for other damage. If shingles are missing, broken tiles or if your roof is leaking, look for the source of the problem. Check that all gutters are clear and working correctly. If they are not, call a gutter cleaning company to have them taken care of.
Look For Weakness
It would be best if you found out why you need roof repairs in the first place. Was it a storm? Was there an accident? Look for the source of weakness and make a list of what needs to be done to fix it. It might be that your shingles need replacing, or maybe you need to re-felting. Check the material before buying replacement materials to ensure that they will blend in.
Roof Repair & Roof Restoration
Once you know what needs to be done, remove any debris and mess and excess water. Think about the source of the problem and where it is coming from. On a flat roof, check that there are no broken tiles or damaged flashings. If the cause of the issue is not apparent, look for roof repair or roof restoration services to take a look and advise you on what needs to be done.
What are the different types of roofing materials?
There are a variety of materials that can be used for roofing, including asphalt shingles, clay tiles, metal roofing and traditional shingles.
Which type of painting is more difficult?
Exterior painting is more complicated than interior painting because it exposes more elements. The roofing paint in particular needs to be able to withstand wind, rain and snow.
Preparing your home for exterior painting can be a time-consuming process. You want to ensure that the surface is entirely free of dirt and other debris. Remove any flaking or peeling paint and patch up the holes.
Roof restoration is restoring your roof to its former glory. It might be that the reason for restoration is storm damage or accident damage, but whatever the reason, it is possible to restore your roof to its former conditions.
Roof painting can reduce the chances of cracking and peeling. It is also more environmentally friendly than roof repairs or replacing your roof.